Cost Information: Motoring Offences
Pricing for assistance in relation to summary only motoring offences under Part One of the Road Traffic Act 1988 and Section 89 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984
In respect of guilty pleas to motoring offences at the Magistrates Court we provide a fixed fee service. The fixed fee ranges between £250 to £750 (excluding VAT) depending on the complexity of the matter.
This fee includes all attendance and preparation, considering evidence, taking your instructions providing advice on likely sentence and attendance and representation at a single Hearing at the Magistrates Court.
The fee does not include the instruction of any expert evidence, taking statements from any witnesses, advice and assistance in relation to a Special Reasons Hearing and advice or assistance in relation to any appeal.
The key stages on a matter are based on the presumption that you have either entered a guilty plea or will enter a guilty plea and have a date for your Hearing and will include the following:
- Meet with your Solicitor to provide instructions on what happened
- We will consider initial disclosure and any other evidence and provide advice.
- We will explain the Court procedure to you so you know what to expect on the day of your Hearing and the sentencing options available to the Court.
- We will conduct any further preparatory work, obtaining further instructions from you if necessary and answer any follow up queries you have.
- We cannot provide a time scale when your Hearing will take place, this depends on the Court listing for that day.
- We will attend Court on the day and meet with you before going before the Court.
- We will discuss the outcome with you. If advice is required on appeal this will carry an additional cost.
Not Guilty Pleas
If you wish to enter a not guilty plea and instruct us to represent you at a Trial we will agree to undertake the work for you on an hourly rate between £150 to £200 per hour depending on the complexity of the matter. At the outset we will provide an estimate of the number of hours to be taken and exactly what work will be carried out.
Our charges for advocacy at a Trial are fixed at £500 per half day (excluding VAT) £1,000 per (day (excluding VAT).
If you are acquitted at Trial you will be entitled to request from the Court a Defence Cost Order to reimburse you for costs incurred. The costs under a Defence Cost Order are calculated on a Legal Aid basis and will not cover you for all of the costs which you have incurred you will therefore find that you will have to bear some costs even if you are acquitted at Trial.